I conducted an interview with the son of a Indonesian born native, and learned many things while talking to him. His name is Nalin.
How does the culture affect your daily lifestyle?
Nalin: The culture affects my lifestyle due to my parents being original native Indonesians. I personally was born in america, and have adapted to the american way of life. My family still practices our culture and holidays though, so its kindof the best of both worlds, know what I mean?
Is there anything strange that they do from the cultural aspect?
Nalin: No, not really. Some of the food is strange, but most of it is pretty good once you try it. I mean I grew up eating alot of it some I guess I am used to it.
Have you ever gone to Indonesia?
Nalin: No, not yet. I have been to India to visit family a few times, but I have not been to Indonesia.
Do your parents approve of your "Americanization"?
Nalin: Yeah, they understand that this country is bound to change everyone eventually, being that it is the melting pot. They dress like americans and have cell phones and fit in, but still hold dear the culture at heart. They let me really do pretty much anything I want for clothes and typical stuff, I mean they understand that I'm jut trying to be an american fitting in like all my friends so its cool I guess.
I thanked him for his time and he said I could contact him any time.
No comments:
Post a Comment